16 years after the founding (1865) of the original St. Malachi Parish, the “Old Angle” Neighborhood was a bustling industrial and residential area. Those interested in viewing the 1881 Cleveland Ward 8, Plate 14 map may download it.
The map shows the original church whose front doors were on Washington Street. Not shown on the map snippet above is another St. Malachi School building at the corner of Pearl Rd. and Division (download the full map to view this).
Over the last 134 years the neighborhood has changed tremendously, including the St. Malachi campus.
The original church burned on just before Christmas Eve 1943; the present church was later rebuilt at a new location facing West 25th Street, formerly Pearl Rd. Remains from the original stonework were used to reconstruct the current Washington Ave. retaining wall. The rectory, or “Parsonage” as it is labeled, is the only original building that remains.