St. Malachi, St. Patrick Parish (on Bridge Ave.) and St. Wendelin Parish , the three Partner Parishes in the Near West Cluster, operate a combined High School Youth Group, called Near West Parishes High School Youth Group. The group is lead by volunteers from all three parishes with input from the Pastors and Parish Catechetical Leaders of each parish. The group is open to all students of these parishes who are in 9th through 12th grade.
The group meets on every Sunday (except holiday weekends) from September through May. The program incorporates the four strands of catechesis: Message, Worship, Community and Service. By focusing on one topic or “theme” each year, it covers the four pillars of the Catechism: Creed, Liturgy & Sacraments, Christian Morality, and Prayer. During 2014-15, the focus is Christian Prayer. Attendance at all meetings and activities is encouraged.
The program’s content is offered through three different types of meetings:
- The focus of the first and third Sundays are “Faith Formation Meetings.” These are held at a St. Malachi host home in Cleveland (near Warren and I-90) from 6:30 – 8pm. Each meeting involves some combination of prayer, activities, discussion, media considerations (music & video), and scripture readings, each adding to and building upon the year’s theme.
- The second Sundays are “Movie Nights” hosted by St. Wendelin in their “Teen Pit” from 6:00-8:00pm. Movies are selected (and previewed) by the youth group leaders and compliment the year’s theme or another appropriate theme (morality, faith, social justice, etc.). Snacks are provided.
- The fourth Sunday of each month will be a “Service” or “Social Activity” some of which may be open to junior high students from the parishes as well. St. Patrick will be helping coordinate some of the first service activities. Stay tuned for more information!
The annual registration fee is $40 (no one is excluded because of financial hardship). For more information or to enroll, please contact the leader from your parish:
- Carrie Sekerak, email@example.com, or (216) 861-5343 (St. Malachi Parish) [To reach Carrie by phone, please call the St. Malachi Rectory to pass on your name & telephone number for a call back.]
- Kathy Wadowick, firstname.lastname@example.org, or (216) 631-8672 (St. Patrick Parish)
- Sue Kidd, office@StWendelinCleveland.org, or (216) 696-1926 (St. Wendelin Parish)